This information applies to you if your apartment is equipped with an in-sink garbage disposal. Please read through these guidelines to become familiar with proper use of your in-sink garbage disposal unit.
Garbage Disposal Use:
To properly use your garbage disposal, first turn on the water, then turn on the disposal. Gradually place soft food items into the disposal. After it sounds like everything is ground, turn off the disposal. Let the water run for several seconds after the disposal is turned off.
- Do not place large amounts of sticky or heavy food (such as rice or pasta) in the disposal (could cause unit to clog).
- Do not place a large amount of food in the disposal and then turn it on.
- Do not place hard objects (such as bones, eggshells, nutshells, bottle caps, etc.) in the disposal.
- Do not place grease down the disposal.
If the garbage disposal will not turn on and is not making a humming sound, it may need to be reset. Press the ‘reset’ button found on the bottom of the unit under the sink. If it has reset, the button will be popped out. If that does not work, check to see if the circuit breaker has tripped and turned off in the electrical service panel.
If you place a maintenance request for your garbage disposal you will be charged a fee if we only have to press the reset button, if we only have to flip the circuit breaker on, or if there is a clog or inappropriate item in the unit due to misuse.
Please use our online request form for all general requests.
FOR 24 HOUR EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE - (217)359-6108
Call us immediately if:
- Water is leaking on to your floor from broken pipes or blocked drains.
- Water is entering through the roof or windows.
- Anything that will cause damage to the property if not immediately attended to.